John Pearce is engaged in general civil practice concentrating in energy (oil and gas) and environmental law for a variety of clients both corporate (international, national, regional and local) and individual. With broad experience in civil litigation and corporate, partnership, environmental, banking, and contract law including interpretation, negotiation and preparation of a wide variety of contracts, John has handled or participated in a broad range of litigation matters before both state and federal courts and regulatory and administrative agencies as well as matters concluded through alternative dispute resolution. He also has an extensive real estate practice primarily involving abstract title examination for both major and independent oil companies and rendition of title opinions on numerous oil and gas properties.
John Pearce was President of the New Orleans Legal Assistance Corporation from 1999-2002 and was the first President of the Southeast Louisiana Legal Services Corporation (2002-2004). He is a prior member of the board of the New Orleans Pro Bono Project.
A New Orleans native, John graduated from Louisiana State University in 1973. He clerked at the Louisiana State Mineral Board from 1973-76 and received a Juris Doctor from Louisiana State University Law School in 1976. He is admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court, the United States Courts of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, the United States Court of Federal Claims, the Louisiana Supreme Court and all federal and state Louisiana courts.
Published Works & Presentations:
- "Oil and Gas Litigation Update," (Speaker) Gordon Arata Montgomery Barnett Annual Duck Lunch & Seminar, October 2017
- “Recent Developments Column for Mineral Law”, Louisiana Bar Journal, 1991-2005
- “Civil Liability in Environmental Hazards in Foreign Operations: An Overview of the European Community’s Current Proposal”, (Author) The Louisiana Environmental Lawyer, Vol. 1, No. 3
- “Louisiana Geothermal Energy Resources Act,” (Co-Author), LA. RS. 30:800 et seq.
- American Bar Association (Member, House of Delegates 1998-2002)
- Louisiana State Bar Association (Member of Council of Mineral Law Section 1988-1992; Chairman 1993-1994; House of Delegates 1999-2001)
- New Orleans Bar Association (Member of Executive Committee 1984-1986; 1993-1999; President 1998)
- New Orleans Legal Assistance Corporation (1999-2002)
- Southeast Louisiana Legal Services Corporation (2002-2004)
- Louisiana Mineral Law Institute (Former Member, Advisory Council)
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers in America – Natural Resources Law and Oil and Gas Law (Since 2006)
- Best Lawyers in America - Lawyer of the Year in New Orleans, Natural Resources Law (2015, 2017)
- Best Lawyers in America – Lawyer of the Year in New Orleans, Oil and Gas Law (2014)
- Louisiana Super Lawyers – Energy & Natural Resources (Since 2007)
- New Orleans CityBusiness Leadership in Law (2014)
- New Orleans Magazine “Top Lawyers” - Oil & Gas Law (2014 - 2015), Mining Law (2017)