Caroline Lafourcade is a Board Certified Tax Law Specialist and has over twenty years’ of experience. She is a recent Chair of the Louisiana State Bar Association Section of Taxation and is also a member of the American Bar Association Section of Taxation. She provides estate and both federal and state tax planning advice to clients.
Caroline represents businesses and individuals before the Internal Revenue Service in a variety of federal tax controversy and litigation matters including the resolution of disputes involving income taxes, estate and gift taxes, excise taxes, and payroll taxes. She has helped individual taxpayers qualify for innocent spouse relief from the income tax liabilities of their spouse or former spouse, successfully defended the Government’s assertion of the trust fund recovery penalty for employment taxes owed by other responsible persons, and obtained substantial penalty abatements. Caroline has negotiated installment agreements and offers-in-compromise on behalf of taxpayers to resolve their tax liabilities. She has represented clients challenging IRS tax assessments in audit administrative appeals, and in court.
She represents clients in Louisiana income and franchise tax disputes, and in state and local sales and use tax matters during audits by the Louisiana Department of Revenue, local tax collectors or contract auditors, and in contesting audit assessments and tax refund denials administratively and in court.
In addition, Caroline helps clients devise estate plans to protect their assets and counsels clients in the administration of complex estates and successions.
Caroline is licensed in all Louisiana federal and state courts as well as the United States Tax Court.
Published Works & Presentations:
- “Corporate Issues: Corporations, Partnerships and Limited Liability Companies” (Presenter), Gordon Arata Montgomery Barnett Annual Duck Lunch, October 2017
Recent Works & Presentations:
- Presenter, State and Local Tax Issues for Oil and Gas Companies: Audit Procedures; Oil Severance Tax (Gordon Arata Montgomery Barnett Annual Duck Lunch & Seminar, October 2017)
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- Best Lawyers in America – Tax (Since 2013)
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Tax planning
- Tax litigation and representation
- Income tax
- Employment tax
- Estate and gift tax
- Franchise tax
- Property tax
- Sales tax
- IRS issues
- Louisiana tax issues
- Penalty abatements
- Income tax audits
- Employment tax audits
- Estate tax audits
- Sales tax audits
- Installment agreements
- Delinquent return filing
- Releases of liens and levies
- Offshore account compliance
- Tax amnesty
- Tax appeals
- Estate planning, probate and estate administration
- Non-profit and tax exempt organization