Tim Eagan enjoys a diverse legal practice concentrating on complex commercial litigation in the trial and appellate courts in both the state and federal court systems. He has represented business clients in a range of industries including energy, securities, exploration, health care, banking and construction. Tim has served as lead counsel in national and state class actions, multidistrict litigation, regulatory actions, antitrust, RICO, securities fraud, shareholder disputes, corporate disputes, technology, patent and intellectual property, products liability, contract claims, rights of first refusal, recovery of expenses under joint operating agreements, gas balancing cases, fraud, misrepresentation and other business torts. In 1995, he was selected as a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers and in 2009, he was inducted into the International Society of Barristers.
A significant portion of Tim's practice is dedicated to defending consumer class actions. He has successfully defended national firms in the brokerage and retail industries in class action suits filed in Louisiana. He has also defended a major utility company against antitrust class action claims regarding rates, and represented that utility before the Louisiana Public Service Commission and the New Orleans City Council on those matters.
In the area of business litigation, Tim has represented exploration companies pursuing and defending claims for breach of contract involving hundreds of millions of dollars. As lead counsel, he made all strategy decisions.
Tim is also an experienced construction law attorney having represented owners, contractors and subcontractors for more than 25 years. He has advised clients in negotiating construction contracts, subcontracts and other related agreements and has litigated and arbitrated construction claims involving change orders, oral modifications, cardinal changes, disruption and delay claims, and scheduling issues. He has also assisted clients with filing, enforcing, and resolving construction liens.
Tim earned his J.D. from Georgetown University where he served on the Georgetown Law Journal. Prior to law school, he served as a Lieutenant in the U.S. Navy from 1969-1973.
- St. Thomas More Inn of Court - Master
- American College of Trial Lawyers - Fellow
- International Society of Barristers
- Louisiana Bar Foundation - Fellow
- New Orleans Magazine "Top Lawyers" - Bet-the-Company Litigation; Commercial Litigation; Energy Law (2013, 2014, 2018)
- Best Lawyers in America - Bet-the-Company Litigation; Commercial Litigation, Energy Law; Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants (Since 2001)
- Best Lawyers in America - Lawyer of the Year in New Orleans, Energy Law (2015)
- Chambers USA - Energy & Natural Resources: Utilities; Litigation: General Commercial (Since 2004)
- Louisiana Super Lawyers - Class Action; Mass Torts (Since 2007); Rated as among top 50 lawyers in Louisiana (2009, 2011, 2013-2017); Rated as among top 50 lawyers in New Orleans (2018)