Bob Duplantis has dedicated his entire career to the oil and gas industry. Prior to joining Gordon Arata in 1982 and establishing its Lafayette office, Bob spent more than a decade serving in-house oil company legal departments including six years as a lobbyist in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
Bob’s law practice focuses on Louisiana oil and gas regulation and “meat-and-potato” legal issues. He routinely argues contract disputes affecting the oil and gas industry, including lease interpretation and operational issues, joint operating agreements, oil and gas marketing and sales issues, and forced pooling issues. He regularly represents clients before the Louisiana Department of Natural Resources (primarily the Office of Conservation) and the Louisiana Office of Mineral Resources, the former of which he has handled more than a thousand adjudicatory hearings. He frequently addresses industry groups such as the annual Mineral Law Institute.
Prior to practicing law, Bob spent 10 years working in exploration and production in various engineering and management assignments throughout Louisiana, Texas, California, and New York. He earned his J.D. from Loyola in 1966, and his B.S. in Petroleum Chemical Engineering from LSU in 1961.
Published Works & Presentations:
- Preferential Rights to Purchase and Consent to Assign Provisions (46th Mineral Law Institute, March 25-26, 1999)
- The 'Take-or-pay' Controversy: Considerations of the Seller (32nd Mineral Law Institute, March 28-29, 1985)
- Unanswered Questions after Frey v. Amoco (40th Mineral Law Institute, March 25-26, 1994)
- American Bar Association
- American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL) JOA FORM 610 Revision Committee
- Mid-Continent Oil and Gas Association
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- Louisiana State Office of Conservation Intrastate Pipelines Ad Hoc Committee
- Committee on Revision of Rules of Procedure, La. State Office of Conservation
- Advisory Committee, La. State Commissioner’s Office of Conservation
- Lafayette Parish Bar Association
- Stone Energy Corporation - Board of Directors
- Holy Cross College, New Orleans – Former Board Member
- Best Lawyers in America - Administrative / Regulatory Law (2020)
- American Bar Foundation - Fellow
- Acadiana Profile Magazine "Top Lawyers" List - Oil & Gas Law; Administrative/Regulatory Law; Energy Law (2014, 2015 and 2019)
- Chambers USA - Energy & Natural Resources: Oil & Gas (Since 2006)
- Best Lawyers in America - Energy Law; Oil & Gas Law (Since 2008)
- Best Lawyers in America - Lawyer of the Year in Lafayette for Oil and Gas Law (2018); Lawyer of the Year in Lafayette for Energy Law (2016)