|400 East Kaliste Saloom Road|
Lafayette, Louisiana 70508-8517
(337) 237-0132 (direct line)
(337) 237-3451 (fax)
Virtual Business Card
|Columbia University, J.D., James Kent Scholar, 2010|
Williams College, B.A., magna cum laude, 2005
Oxford University, WEPO, 2004
Catholic University of Louvain, Eerste Kandidatuur, 2001
New York (2013)
Paul B. Simon is a member in Gordon Arata’s Lafayette office who serves the Louisiana oil & gas industry. On their behalf, he handles disputes, corporate matters, acquisitions, and appeals for the firm's oil and gas clients. He regularly assists clients with issues arising under Louisiana's Mineral Code and the industry's primary agreements (JOA's, mineral leases, participation agreements, etc.), and with regulatory issues before the Louisiana Department of Natural Resources’ Office of Conservation and the Louisiana State Mineral Board.
Prior to joining the Firm, Paul served as a law clerk to two judges on the federal bench, the Honorable W. Eugene Davis of the United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, and the Honorable D. “Dee” Drell, Chief United States District Judge for the Western District of Louisiana. Paul frequently uses this experience to assist in matters in federal court, including in bankruptcy and appellate matters.
Paul earned his J.D. from the Law School of Columbia University where he was a James Kent Scholar and a Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar, the two highest academic honors Columbia Law School awards. He also received the Parker School Recognition of Achievement in International and Comparative Law, was an editor of the American Review of International Arbitration, and was Co-President of the Columbia Society of International Law and Co-Founder and Co-President of the Columbia International Arbitration Association.
Prior to law school, Paul worked as a strategy and management consultant for the consulting firm McKinsey & Company, in its Amsterdam office. He learned Dutch for the posting, adding to the French and Spanish he previously spoke, and to this day Paul maintains a rich network of contacts and knowledge regarding European business. Paul also earned his B.A. in Political Science, magna cum laude, from Williams College in 2005, where he was a junior-year selection and President of Phi Beta Kappa.
Paul is a native of Lafayette, Louisiana. For several years he lived out of state, and overseas in Europe and the Middle East. He returned to Lafayette to practice mineral law, raise his daughters, and be with family. He is admitted to both the Louisiana and New York bars.
Published Works & Presentations:
- "Future of the OCS Under the New Administration," Presentation at the Gordon Arata Montgomery Barnett Annual Duck Lunch and Seminar, October 2017
- "Regulations and More Regulations: The New Norm," Presentation for the Institute of Energy Law's National Young Energy Professionals' Law Conference, March 2017
- "Protecting Operators Who Act In Reliance on an Order of the Commissioner of Conservation," Gordon Arata "Drill Deeper" Blog, November 2016
- "Louisiana Supreme Court Denies Writs," Gordon Arata "Drill Deeper" Blog, June 2016
- "Emergency Rule of Office of Conservation Provides Relief," Gordon Arata "Drill Deeper" Blog, April 2016
- "Preemptive Authority of Commissioner's Actions Affirmed," Gordon Arata "Drill Deeper" Blog, March 2016
- "The Louisiana Supreme Court Refuses to Expand O&G Industry’s Duties to Lessors," Gordon Arata "Drill Deeper" Blog, November 2015
- "New Federal Discovery Rules Tilt to Defendants," Gordon Arata "Drill Deeper" Blog, June 2015
- "The Impact and Opportunities of Falling Oil Prices," Gordon Arata "Drill Deeper" Blog, March 2015
- "Legal Aspects of U.S. Energy Policy: Prospects for the Natural Gas Glut," Lorman Seminar on Oil & Gas Rights in Louisiana, September 17, 2014
- "Unitization Victory for E&P Companies at Louisiana Supreme Court," Gordon Arata "Drill Deeper" Blog, August 2014
- "A Litigator’s Perspective on the Purchase and Sale Agreement (PSA)," Gordon Arata "Drill Deeper" Blog, July 2014
- "A Litigator’s Perspective on the Purchase and Sale Agreement (PSA)," Paper and Presentation for the Institute for Energy Law's Mergers & Acquisitions/Acquisitions & Disposals Conference, May 29, 2014
- "Mexico Energy Reforms," Gordon Arata "Drill Deeper" Blog, March 2014
- "New Appellate Arbitration Rules," regarding the recently promulgated Optional Appellate Arbitration Rules of the American Arbitration Association, Gordon Arata Client Update, January 6, 2014
- "Lessons for Louisiana Landmen - Recent Developments in Jurisprudence," Presentation for the 2013 Winter Seminar of the Lafayette Association of Professional Landmen
- "Enforceability of Forum Selection Bylaw," Gordon Arata Client Update, July 31, 2013
- Federal Bar Association
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Institute for Energy Law of the Center for American and International Law – Advisory Board and Young Energy Professionals Committee member
- McKinsey & Company Alumni Association
- Kiwanis Club of Lafayette
- Acadiana Profile Magazine's "Top Lawyers" List 2014, 2015 - Commercial Litigation; Energy Law
- Best Lawyers in America - Oil & Gas Law (2018)