Peggy Welsh is a member in our New Orleans office who focuses her practice in the areas of corporate, real estate, oil and gas, financing and securities transactions as well as handling regulatory issues before Federal agencies. Her experience encompasses participating in every stage of many high-profile and challenging corporate transactions including the representation of several U.S. and foreign companies in international and domestic, private and public transactions and joint ventures. She advises numerous companies and organizations on general corporate matters, including entity formation, contract negotiations, corporate restructurings and general corporate governance matters. She also has experience in other related transactional practices, including cross-border acquisitions, high-yield debt issuances, real estate, bankruptcies and restructurings, financing arrangements and securitizations. Peggy serves as the Assistant Chair of the Commercial Transactions section of the Firm.
Before joining Gordon Arata Montgomery Barnett, Peggy worked as a corporate associate in New York at a London-based firm where she represented high-profile Fortune 500 corporations and pharmaceutical companies. She routinely handled the negotiation and drafting of restructuring, shareholders, license, merger, joint venture and asset and share purchase and sale agreements. She advised on New York law matters for the purchase and sale agreement of Mitsubishi Corporation in its multi-billion dollar investment in a new partnership. This transaction won the Global M&A Deal of the Year, Chile (The American Lawyer’s Global Legal Awards, 2013).
Prior to law school, Peggy taught math and science for three years at a local high school in New Orleans. Upon graduating law school, she founded the education advocacy arm of the Louisiana Center for Children’s Rights, a nonprofit organization that provides resources and training for public defenders who work with children and advocates for law and policy reform to build a juvenile justice system that is fair, compassionate and supportive of positive youth development.
Peggy earned her J.D. from Tulane University Law School, magna cum laude, in 2009, where she served as a Managing Editor of the Tulane Law Review. She was also inducted into the Order of the Coif and received a Dean’s Scholarship. She earned her B.S., with honors, in Geology-Physics/Mathematics from Brown University in 2002.
Published Works & Presentations:
- "BSEE Finally Allows Pipeline ROWs To Be Co-Owned" Gordon Arata Montgomery Barnett "Drill Deeper" Blog, August 2017
- "BSEE Extends Time OCS Lease Remains in Effect after Cessation of Operations or Production" Gordon Arata Montgomery Barnett "Drill Deeper" Blog, June 2017
- "UPDATE: BOEM Withdraws Sole Liability Orders Issued Under NTL 2016-01" Gordon Arata "Drill Deeper" Blog, February 2017
- "BOEM Delays NTL 2016-01 for Non-Sole Liability Properties" Gordon Arata "Drill Deeper" Blog, January 2017
- "What Does the Future Hold for BOEM's Financial Assurance Requirements?" Gordon Arata "Drill Deeper" Blog, January 2017
- "BOEM Issues NTL Implementing Major Changes to Its Financial Security Requirements for the OCS," Gordon Arata "Drill Deeper" Blog, July 2016
- "BOEM Publishes Final Rule for Leasing in the OCS," Gordon Arata "Drill Deeper" Blog, May 2016
- "IBLA Upholds Decommissioning Order Against OCS Lease Assignor," Gordon Arata "Drill Deeper" Blog, February 2016
- "Approval of New State Lease Form Delayed," Gordon Arata "Drill Deeper" Blog, December 2015
- Panelist, Drill Deeper - A Panel Discussion (Gordon Arata Annual Duck Lunch & Seminar, October 2015)
- "BOEM Proposes Major Changes to its Financial Security Requirements for the OCS," Gordon Arata "Drill Deeper" Blog, September 2015
- "Changes to Louisiana Law on the Pledge of a Lessor's Rights in a Lease of an Immovable and its Rents," Gordon Arata "Drill Deeper" Blog, August 2015
- "Changes in Store to the U.S. Crude Oil Export Ban?" Gordon Arata "Drill Deeper" Blog, January 2015
- "Comprehensive Revision of Louisiana Corporate Law to Become Effective January 1," Gordon Arata "Drill Deeper" Blog, December 2014
- "SEC Sued To Implement Rule for Oil Company Disclosure on Government Payments," Gordon Arata "Drill Deeper" Blog, September 2014
- Co-author of “The EBRD’s Legal and Regulatory Assessment – What Limits Development of Local Capital Markets”, Law and Financial Markets Review Vol. 6(3), May 2012
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- Professional Landmen's Association of New Orleans (PLANO)
- Women's Energy Network - Membership Director, 2016 and 2017