Gordon Arata Montgomery Barnett was founded in 1970 as an oil and gas firm, and today our capabilities in the industry are as strong as ever. We have the resources and experience to provide our clients with the highest level of representation in every type of oil, gas and other energy transaction, whether it's a specialized acquisition, divestiture or financing of producing properties or processing plants or ordinary matters such as drafting mineral leases or reviewing farm-out agreements.
Our transactional services to oil, gas and other energy clients include:
- Negotiating and drafting purchase and sale agreements, assignments and other agreements covering properties located onshore Louisiana or Texas or on the Outer Continental Shelf
- Directing and participating in due diligence and related negotiation and preparation of curative documentation
- Negotiating, preparing and reviewing credit agreements, loan agreements, mortgages, financing statements, security agreements and related documents and instruments for both borrowers and lenders
- Preparing, reviewing and handling all aspects of agreements that involve oil and gas producing properties, such as mineral leases, surface or subsurface agreements, indemnity agreements, unitization or pooling agreements, joint exploration agreements, seismic survey agreements, operating agreements, farmout agreements, participation agreements, drilling contracts and overriding royalty, net profits or production payment agreements
- Negotiating, drafting and handling agreements that involve the midstream energy business, including oil and gas transportation, processing, storage and marketing and refinery feedstock supply
- Issuing title opinions, with the help of our library, accumulated over the past thirty years, which contains title opinions covering many lands throughout Louisiana, Texas and numerous blocks on the Outer Continental Shelf
- Rendering of third party legal opinions in various matters
- Assisting creditors and debtors in lien workouts
- Dealing with landowners and various governmental agencies for seismic and other permits, rights-of-way and servitude agreements
- Negotiating and preparing Deep Water Offshore Operating Agreements and related agreements concerning Deep Water operations in the Gulf of Mexico
In addition to the traditional oil and gas practice, our energy lawyers have worked on a variety of matters involving renewable energy. We have negotiated agreements for the development of ethanol, biodiesel and renewable diesel facilities including long term land leases, technology agreements, feed stock supply agreements, off-take agreements, storage agreements, terminal agreements and joint venture agreements.
Our extensive experience supports our successful transaction work. Because a number of our attorneys have many years of in-house experience and technical expertise in land, engineering and geology for various companies, Gordon Arata Montgomery Barnett can draw on an unrivaled depth of experience in the industry. So we don’t have to re-invent the wheel over and over and instead can focus on the unique aspects of a client’s transaction.
In keeping with our industry leadership, several of our attorneys are frequent speakers on programs sponsored by industry groups and prestigious institutes addressing issues involved in oil, gas and energy transactions and write frequently on such issues. Members of the firm helped draft widely used model forms of offshore operating agreements.